Due to my recent travel and some DVR snafus, I just last night watched the first two episodes of Season 7 of Top Chef. If you want recaps, I highly suggest visiting John Kessler and Jordan Baker – they are my go-to sources for witty, snarktastic TC commentary. I’ll start recapping next week, but for now, here are some knee-jerk reactions…
* Padma’s boobs are frickin’ enormous. Gail must be upset to have been dethroned as the bustiest judge.
* I love that this season is in D.C., as I have mad love for my previous city of residence, but the “beauty shots” of all the monuments are going to get old. There is more to Washington than the Mall, people!
* “Hail to the chef”? “Bipartisandwich”? Are the puns going to be this terrible for the whole season???
* Props to the chefs for completing a challenge on the roof of the Newseum. The views are spectacular, but it is windy as all hell up there.
* I do not like Angelo. Within the first 5 minutes, he was name-dropping like whoa. It only got worse from there.
* Kenny really likes the word “irrelevant.”
* Can I please have that rowhouse when y’all are done with it?
* Sam Kass is hot. I wish he was a contestant instead of Angelo.
* I am really sad that the hippie from Michigan screwed the pooch and got sent home first. I think he would have made things interesting (with soundbites if not cooking). But, as usual, dessert is the kiss of death, and these chefs should know that if they have EVER watched Top Chef before.
* Speaking of which, didn’t Hector try to deep-fry a steak last season? Seriously, people, watch the reruns and figure out the major no-nos.
* I know that alcohol cooks off in most instances. But sherry-braised chicken? For a school lunch? At the expense, literally, of a good dessert? I think Amanda should have gotten the boot.
* If middle school cafeterias served lunches like Kelly’s team’s, I would happily go back to the sixth grade.
* I am so glad that Eric Ripert is a more permanent fixture. I hope the contestants cook lots of “feesh” for him to critique.
* Did I mention that Padma’s boobs are HUGE???
As usual, there are way too many contestants at this point for me to pick my favorites. There was a fair amount of whining and cattiness and general bitchery going on, so I imagine it will be easier to pick out who I do NOT like. Time will tell…